A Few Things
Hello, Friends! Happy Weekend. How are you doing? Did it feel like a short week to you with the Tuesday holiday? At our house, we are feeling super good going into the weekend. Why? Because we finished the kids “clubhouse” this morning. The clubhouse is this small attic space (about 6′ x 8′ with a sloped ceiling and a skylight) that we used to keep our holiday storage boxes and luggage in. But when we redid our bathroom, we closed up the opening to the storage area, and created a new opening into the family room. It’s been sitting empty and unfinished (plywood floors, studs without sheetrock) for months now.
But this week we tackled it! We added sheetrock and baseboards, primed and painted, and today, we moved in the fun stuff — a rug, a bean bag chair, a little table, a big chalkboard, some BrightLab lights. The kids have been collecting things for the “clubhouse” for weeks now — mostly from around the house — and it was fun to see it come together this morning.
It’s one of those “little” projects that really takes a week, and it’s so easy to put off. It feels good to have it done and to make an unfinished space useable and happy. How about you? Anything making you happy as you go into the weekend?
I’m off to change out of these paint clothes, but before I go, here are a few things I’ve been wanting to share with you:
– The Meth Lunches. Powerful writing.
– Over 83,000 vintage sewing patterns are now available online.
– “They will only be this young once.” I know. But I want to say, “So will I.”
– A simple kite kit I’m really digging.
– The NRA theory that more guns equals less crime has been debunked by a Stanford study.
– Lucinda Chambers, of British Vogue, gives the fashion industry a kicking. (NYT)
– Turns out the descendants of the all-white Founding Fathers are a very diverse bunch.
– I’ve been wanting a lightweight silk nightgown, and ordered this one. It came a couple of days ago and I’m in love. (I chose the “peonies colorful” pattern.)
– Why women of 40 and 50 are the new “ageless generation”. Do you agree?
– My friend Rebecca and her sister are trying to adopt two disabled teens from China before they age out of the system. You can support their efforts through this awesome auction.
I hope you have a really lovely weekend. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.