A Few Things
Dang. This week. It started for me in Vermont (which was so good! a report is coming!), and by the time I got home… Well, everything was horrible. Specifically:
California is burning. And it’s happening just north of here, in places where we visit often, where we have friends who live and who have been evacuated. The fires. I mean. 30 people dead so far, 250 people missing, over 3500 homes and businesses destroyed, and the fires are zero percent contained. Geez. Many schools have closed here because the air quality is so bad with smoke and ash. At the high school, surgical masks were handed out to every student.
Then, hearing more tragic reports from Puerto Rico, and feeling absolutely helpless. The death toll is rising, and there’s not enough drinking water (or anything else). There’s not enough aid.
Then, everything I’ve read about Harvey Weinstein has left me so sad and angry. There was a thread where women wrote about “their first Weinstein” — the first boss or coworker or teacher or person-in-power to sexually harass them. Oh my. The stories are so hard to read. And triggering. So many memories. I’m sure you have them too.
Then further anger reading about Jemele Hill suspended from ESPN, and reading about Rose McGowan suspended from Twitter. Watching women punished for speaking out. Urgh. The hate and anger I feel is solid. Like I can practically touch it (or bang my head against it).
And then a pause in the horrible yesterday. On Thursday night (no school on Friday) we hosted Olive’s 16th birthday party. Fifty+ kids from the high school came over to help her celebrate. Gosh they’re good kids. It was fun to see them all over the house — upstairs, downstairs, in the lofts, on the decks, and on the swings in the yard too. There was a photo backdrop, an epic playlist, a collaging station, tons of food, and a gigantic surprise ball.
And Saturday night, we’re hosting a group for a progressive dinner.
What a week!
How about you? How are you doing? I’d love to hear. And I’ve also got a few things I’ve been wanting to share with you:
– This essay, titled The New Midlife Crisis, was shared in my social feeds a ton this week. It seems to really resonate with a lot of women. I finally read it, but feel mostly ambivalent in response. Maybe I’m just too tired this week? Did you read it? (I should note: the artwork is sublime.)
– Related, this headline makes me want to punch something.
– They survived 6 hours in a neighbor’s pool as their house burned down.
– Swedish death cleaning. (Is this the new Konmarie?)
– The first time I heard about “the husband stitch” was maybe a month ago. Have you heard of it? Experienced it? This essay, written about another essay, is really good.
– A-ha did an acoustic version of Take On Me.
– “Remember that every time a man commits a violent act it only takes one or two steps to figure out how it’s a woman’s fault.”
– To escape Auschwitz, she left her father to die. Decades later, she got a message from him. (NYT)
I hope you have a lovely weekend. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.