Mindy Kaling has done it again. Her new show Champions is sassy, quippy, and fun to watch. With two grown men in charge of furnishing a Brooklyn apartment, the style is collected and masculine, but by no means uninteresting. How can you get a look like two grown brothers just got a 15 year old kid dropped into their lives while they struggle to run a Brooklyn gym and decorated your home on the side? Fear not, dear reader, I’m here to help.
The key to a successful collected style is choosing pieces that are well designed on their own so when it’s next to something of a different style, you just see good design. Nothing needs to be trendy because then it turns into a furniture showroom.
(Image credit: Courtesy of NBC)
Start with a solid, comfortable sofa with clean lines. Vince and Matthew have a brown leather couch that does the trick. Add some patterned throw pillows and a chunky knit blanket to take it from bachelor pad to “I can support a teenage son I knew nothing about yesterday.”
Complement your sofa with a substantial pair of armchairs. In the show, black pinstripes add subtle pattern in the living room. Choose a chair style that is different from the sofa. One should be sleek and tailored, the other curved and full. Steer away from anything that feels matchy-matchy, including the fabric. If you do leather on the sofa, cuddle up with a fabric covered chair or vice versa.
Vince and Matthew’s Brooklyn apartment has an industrial feel. Think about using pieces like locker-style consoles or card-catalogue drawers. Anything with steel or metal legs is a good starting point. Wood is also a great material to incorporate because it’s neutral, affordable and works with a lot of different styles of furniture.
(Image credit: Courtesy of NBC)
Then you’ll want to mix in colorful pieces like benches, lamps, and side tables. If you keep the rest of your palette neutral, you can add bright pops. You’ll notice red, turquoise, and sky blue accents throughout the apartment. They work because they’re not competing for attention with other loud pieces.
Lastly, take your time. The second key to a collected style is waiting to find the right pieces. Good style comes with patience. And it doesn’t hurt to have a poster of Matt Bomer on your wall (courtesy of Michael).
Get the look
- Sofa: West Elm Dempsey Sofa, sale $1,599.99
- Bookcase: Pottery Barn Claire Rustic Wall Cubby, sale $179.99
- Side chair: Overstock Modern Swoop Accent Chair, $133.99
- Console: Lambert Locker Console Table, $778.99
- Coffee table: Sauder Rolling Coffee Table, $98.50
- Side table: Petra End Table, $204.99
- Bench: GloDea Wooden Bench, from $139
- Faux plant: West Elm Faux Potted Succulent, $29
- Rug: Threshold Tapestry Rug, sale from $79.99
- Floor lamp: Crate & Barrel Dexter Arc Floor Lamp, $299
- Table lamp: Lamps Plus Ovo Table Lamp, $129.98
- Poster: Matt Bomer Poster, $15
- Paint colors: Benjamin Moore Annapolis Green & Labrador Blue
Apartment Therapy supports our readers with carefully chosen product recommendations to improve life at home. You support us through our independently chosen links, many of which earn us a commission.